Saturday 11 April 2015

New Site Tick Plus some Migrants ...At Oare Marshes

Male Garganey.

I spent an enjoyable birding session at Oare Marshes yesterday afternoon and my primary target was Garganey , i had a quick scan over the East flood and didn't really add anything out of the unusual , i continued down to the sea wall and walked along to view the West flood and after a bit of scanning i located both male & female Garganey , they were both asleep until a maniac Coot charged at the male which then stood up did a bit of wing stretching then went back to sleep again.

Male Garganey going to sleep again.

There were several Med Gulls calling overhead and i managed a couple of photos of these great looking Gulls.

Med Gull.

Med Gull being very vocal.

There were the normal array of waders such as Avocet , Redshank , Curlew , Oystercatcher and Dunlin . I kept my eyes on the sky as well and saw up to 10 Marsh Harriers and a couple of Common Buzzards plus a single Peregrine drifted over towards Sheppy .

Curlew.

I continued my walk back towards the sea hide and around the East flood where i heard my first Sedge Warbler of the year by the hide , plenty of Bearded Tits were "Pinging " in the reeds plus i even managed a photo of a female .

Female Bearded Tit.

Lots of Black Tailed Godwits were busy " chattering " in the south east corner of the flood and even more Med Gulls were calling overhead , there was a Kestrel  hovering quite close to the sea wall plus a single Swallow flew by very quickly and was a very welcome addition to my year list . 

Male Kestrel hovering.


I then on my approach to the East flood hide saw a delightful Wheatear in all it's glory on a post.


Wheatear.

My last bird of note of this cracking birding session was a Little Owl which was a new bird for me at this site , i did get a very poor record shot but it just looks like a small blob lol .








4 comments:

  1. Wheatears and sedge warbler, must look out for them. Have already got my first swallow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plenty of migrants in now Simon , well done on seeing the Swallow

      Delete
  2. Bearded Tit ayy, fantastic! great write-up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to add a comment on my blog.